(AKA: George Bernard Finkelstein, George B. Finkelstein, Gedalia Finkelstein)
If you are a member of the news media and use materials researched by The Awareness Center, we ask that you give us credit.
Yeshiva University College - class of 1953
Rabbi Isaac Elchanan Theological Seminary - Ordained 1956
(1976-2003) Talmud Teacher, Yeshiva University's High School - Washington Heights, NY
Congregational Rabbi, Congregation Bnai Yeshurun - Teaneck, NJ
Samuel Scheck Hillel Community Day School - North Miami Florida Beach, FL
Honorary President, Just One Life - Jerusalem, Israel
Advisory Board Member, Council of Young Israel Rabbis in Israel - Jerusalem, Israel
Teacher - OU Israel Center - Jerusalem, Israel
Educator - Yeshiva University Israel - Jerusalem, Israel
The Awareness Center suggests that if you were abused by anyone at YU, you contact The Awareness Center, a private attorney or a legitmate rape crisis center prior to making any calls to the University. It's much better you share your experiences with a non-biased party to ensure your civil rights are protected. CLICK HERE FOR MORE INFORMATION
Rabbi George Finkelstein was accused of molesting boys he taught at Yeshiva University for nearly 30 years.
At Y.U.’s annual tribute dinner, held in March 1995 at the New York Hilton hotel in Manhattan, Lamm presented Finkelstein and his wife, Fredda, with the Heritage Award “for 25 years of dedicated service.”
Asked why Y.U. honored Finkelstein despite forcing him out because of the wrestling, a Y.U. spokesman said: “As you are aware, everything is being independently investigated by outside counsel who will make their report when the investigation is fully finished.”
Allegations of Finkelstein’s inappropriate behavior preceded him when he applied for the job of director general of Jerusalem’s Great Synagogue, in 2001.
The Great Synagogue was concerned enough that its board launched an investigation and was twice reassured by a Y.U. “authority” that the rumors were baseless, according to Zev Lanton, the synagogue’s director general. Lanton told the Forward in December that after seeking legal advice the synagogue could not reveal the name of the Y.U. official who vouched for Finkelstein.
Finkelstein did inform the (Great) synagogue a few years prior to the statement that he had been summoned by police in Jerusalem regarding “a complaint reiterating the original allegation,” the statement said — apparently referring to allegations that Finkelstein abused a student in New York.
But the police report obtained by the Forward shows that the summons related to a complaint that Finkelstein assaulted a young man over a period of two-and-a-half years in Finkelstein’s home and inside the Great Synagogue.
If you or anyone you know was abused by Rabbi George Finkelstein, please contact The Awareness Center.
Table of Contents
- Student Claims of Abuse Not Reported by Yeshiva U.: Lamm Says He Let Alleged High School Abuser Leave Quietly (12/13/2012)
- Statement from President Richard M. Joel in Response to Allegations of Past Abuse (12/13/2012)
- Former Students Recall Alleged Sexual Abuse at Yeshiva High School (12/13/2012)
- Advisory Board - Council of Young Israel Rabbis in Israel (12/13/2012)
- Honorary President - Just Life (12/13/2012)
- An American Orthodox Dreamer: Rabbi Joseph B. Soloveitchik (2004)
- Yeshiva U. Apologizes Over Alleged Abuse (12/13/2012)
- Report of ’80s Sexual Abuse Rattles Yeshiva Campus (12/13/2012)
- Yeshiva University president apologizes for '70s and '80s molest allegations (12/13/2012)
- RCA 'Deeply Troubled' by Yeshiva Allegations (12/13/2012)
- YU President Calls Abuse Allegations 'Reprehensible' (12/14/2012)
- Confronting Abuse (12/14/2012)
- Norman Lamm = Joe Paterno – Shame On Yeshiva University! (12/14/2012)
- Alleged Yeshiva Abuser Quits as Accusations Mount (12/16/2012)
- George Finkelstein's Open Office Door: Yeshiva University High School removed the door of principal accused of abuse, but not the abuser himself. (12/21/1812)
- Yeshiva Officials, Rabbis Knew of Alleged Abuse: More Students Say Nothing Was Done About Allegations (12/20/2012)
- No Religious Exemption When It Comes to Abuse (01/04/2013)
- Curious George Finkelstein: A former rabbi-teacher of mine has been accused of molesting students. So, why can’t I stop thinking of the good he did? (01/04/2013)
Yeshiva U. Rabbi George Finkelstein Acted Inappropriately Even After Ouster (03/08/2013)
- As Yeshiva Child Sex Abuse Scandal Grows, Why Are We Afraid To Speak Out? (03/31/2013)
- Yeshiva U. Sex Abuse Probe Stalls Amid Fear and Mistrust (05/03/2013)
- Case of Rabbi George Finkelstein
- Case of Rabbi Macy Gordon
- Case of Rabbi Baruch Lanner
- Case of Rabbi Marc Gafni (AKA: Mordechai Winiarz)
- Case of Rabbi Mordechai Willig (enabler of sex offenders)
For years, former students have asked Y.U., the premier educational institution of Modern Orthodox Judaism, to investigate their claims that a former principal had repeatedly abused students in the all-male high school that is part of the university. Another former high school student said Y.U. covered up for a staff member who sodomized him.
|Rabbi Norman Lamm|