Friday, December 14, 2012

About Healing from childhood sexual abuse

About Healing from childhood sexual abuse

© (2012) Vicki Polin, MA, LCPC, NCC


Vicki Polin, MA, LCPC, NCC
Years ago a therapist told me I would never amount to anything, and that I should lock myself up in a long term facility because that's where I'd spend the rest of my life. I was 19 at the time and was dealing with pretty severe abuse issues. At the time he had never treated anyone with MPD/DID before. Needless to say I found a different therapist and started to heal (FYI: I haven't dissociated in years).  So remember with the right help, you too can heal).

It wasn't until 12 years after I graduated from high school that I finally received my undergraduate degree (in Women's Studies). By the time I was 32 I had my masters degree. Two years later I became a licensed mental health professional. I'll admit that after earning each degree I sent that lunatic therapist an invitation to my graduations.

The truth is that one therapist was one of the people in my life who motivated me to do the work I do. All I can say is G-d forbid anyone else have a therapist say such crap to another survivor. I was so fortunate that I didn't listen to him and I trusted my gut. My hope is that my words will motivate others to do the same. If you believe in yourself anything is possible.

Being an incest survivor meant basically had NO family to go to for help. The truth is they basically wished me dead. There was even a short time in my life I was homeless.  I think the hardest part of my healing process was that I was forced to learn how to live life without them. It was so painfully difficult at first.

As the years went by I was fortunate to have people in my life who mentored me.  I will always be so grateful to them.  The truth is that I  don't know how to thank them enough for their love, support and kindness. Without them I doubt I'd still be alive, let alone be able  to do the work I have been doing for nearly 30 years. 

I'm sharing these thoughts and experiences with you, because I want every survivor out there to know, that you too can heal. It may take a lot longer then you want, but it can and will happen.  You just need to find the right licensed mental health professional or a legitimate rape crisis center that is affiliated with your State's coalition to help guide you on your own personal journey along with other support people in your life.  It may take time -- but with patience and determination, I know it will happen for you too.  

No comments: