(AKA: Camp Deal)
According to the report the alleged offender went on to having a long career in Jewish education, and based on whispers on the Internet, probably continued targeting young Jewish boys within the walls of Jewish educational institutions.
If you or anyone you know were abused at Camp Dora Golding or know who this alleged offender is, please contact your local rape crisis center or The Awareness Center and we will you find help.
Table of Contents:
- Sharing The Secret That’s Haunted My Soul: An abuse victim goes public, and suggests some communal reforms. (03/28/2013)
- It's very hard to come forward (03/28/2013)
Jewish Week - March 28, 2013
- The institution of mandatory training programs for schools and summer camps — leaders, administrators, teachers and counselors — of what is and isn’t acceptable behavior. (Isolated programs already exist, but are only in place in limited instances.)
- The institution of criminal background checks for all school leaders, teachers, administrators and camp staff.
- The establishments of a “one strike you are out” policy, and the immediate suspension of anyone facing a credible accusation, pending a detailed investigation.
- The establishment of protocols that penalize not only sex offenders, but those who knowingly ignore, protect and enable their behaviors. These people should be held liable on both criminal and civil levels. And they should certainly not be allowed to work in schools, camps, or other Jewish educational institutions. They too should be held accountable.
Experts say it can take years for abuse victims talk openly about their past.
By Steve Lipman
Forward - March 28, 2013
FAIR USE NOTICE
Some of the information on The Awareness Center's web pages may contain copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. We are making such material available in our efforts to advance understanding of environmental, political, human rights, economic, democracy, scientific, and social justice issues, etc.
We believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.
For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml . If you wish to use copyrighted material from this update for purposes of your own that go beyond 'fair use', you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.