Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Sexual Violence and the National Stalking Awareness Month



Sexual Violence and the National Stalking Awareness Month
© (2010) by Vicki Polin

75% of women who are stalked are also survivors of physical and or sexual abuse/assault.

I know this to be true because I am one of those women.  When I was in my early twenties I was stalked by the man who sexually assaulted me, back then there were no legal definition or laws on the books to protect me from my assailant.  Fortunately, my case was used to help get the stalking laws on the books in Illinois.

At the age of 50 I was once again the victim of an assault in the state of Maryland.  Thank G-d things have changed since I was twenty-three.  Due to the fact that man who assaulted me kept calling me, I had no option but to get an order of protection to stop the harassment.  At least I knew what to do.  Most individuals who are assaulted don't know what constitutes stalking or what to do if this should happen to them.  For that reason I'm sharing the following link that I hope you will share with everyone you know.

If you are assaulted, and or being stalked you have nothing to be ashamed of.  The shame belongs solely with the offender.  If this could happen to me it could happen to anyone.  We all need to be aware of what stalking is, and what you can do about it if it happens to you.

CLICK HERE: National Stalking Awareness Month


Vicki Polin, MA, LCPC is the founder and director of The Awareness Center, which is the international Jewish Coalition Against Sexual Abuse/Assault.  

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Amiable brief and this post helped me alot in my college assignement. Gratefulness you as your information.