Tuesday, October 15, 2002

Basic Principles of Assertive Philosophy

Basic Principles of Assertive Philosophy


  1. By standing up for my rights I show I respect myself and achieve respect from other people.
  2. By covering up my feelings so as to never hurt anyone, I end up hurting myself and other people.
  3. Sacrificing my rights usually results in destroying relationships or preventing new ones from forming.
  4. Not letting others know how I feel and what I think is a form of selfishness.
  5. Sacrificing my rights usually results in training other people to mistreat me.
  6. If I don't tell other people now, that their behavior has a negative effect on me, we are denying them an opportunity to change their behavior.
  7. I can decide what's important for me, I do not have to suffer from the tyranny of the should and should not.
  8. When I do what I think is right for me, I feel better about myself and have more authentic and satisfying relationships with others.
  9. I have a natural right to courtesy and respect.
  10. I have a right to express myself as long as I don't violate the rights of others.
  11. There is more to be gained from life by being free and able to stand up for myself and from honoring the same rights of other people.
  12. When I am assertive everyone involved will usually benefit.

No comments: