Goldberg was being sought for engaging in lewd acts in Long Beach, CA with several girls under 10 years old.
Steve Goldberg also produced and possessed child pornography images of these sex acts, which were found on his computer.
Goldberg gained the trust of his victims’ parents and then befriended their children. He entertained the girls by allowing them to play with his pets, watch television, and use his computer to play games. Some of these girls also took short trips with him.
In July 2001, a state arrest warrant was issued in California charging Goldberg with six counts of lewd acts upon a child and two counts of possession of child pornography.
On November 25, 2002, a federal arrest warrant was issued charging Goldberg with the production of child pornography and the unlawful flight to avoid prosecution.
On May 12, 2007, Goldberg was arrested in Montreal by Canadian authorities and was extradited to the United States to face federal and state charges of sexual exploitation of children, unlawful flight to avoid prosecution, lewd acts upon a child, and possession of child pornography. Goldberg (age 62) pled guilty and was sentenced on December 10, 2007 to 20 years in federal prison.
- Convicted of Breaking and Entering (08/12/1965)
- Charged with Aggravated Assault (10/12/1982)
- Federal Warrant issued in the Central District of California charging Richard Steve Goldberg with Title 19. U.S.C. Section 1073 - Unlawful Flight to Avoid Prosecution for the underlying charges of Committing Lewd Acts with Children (6 Counts) and Possession of Child Pornography (2 Counts) (August 16, 2001)
- Alleged Calif. molester on 'Most Wanted' (06/14/2002)
- Alleged Sexual Offender Placed on Ten Most Wanted List
- Long Beach Molester (06/14/2002)
- Man wanted in child-sex case (06/15/2002)
- Fiend Makes FBI Wanted List (06/15/2002)
- Costa Rica - US / Fugitive U.S. Fugitive Believed To Be In Costa Rica (06/29/2002)
- Local criminal (07/09/2002)
- Ask the FBI: 'Ten Most Wanted' addition (07/18/2002)
- Richard Steve Goldberg: Wanted BY FBI (12/06/2002)
- The Real Mulder & Scully - FBI Most Wanted List (01/25/2005)
- America's Most Wanted - FBI Top Tenner - A Dangerous Child Predator Who Targets Neighborhood Children (08/20/2005)
- FBI: Captured on May 12, 2007 in Montreal, Canada (05/12/2007)
- Fugitive on FBI Top 10 Held in Canada (05/13/2007)
- Arrest of U.S. fugitive shocks Dorval residents (05/13/2007)
- Most Wanted fugitive to appear at hearing (05/14/2007)
- FBI `Ten Most Wanted' fugitive arrested in Montreal, Canada (05/14/2007)
- Arrested pedophile suspect wanted by FBI was about to turn himself in, lawyer says (05/14/2007)
- Suspected pedophile ordered deported (05/19/2007)
- Most Wanted hopes for fair trial in U.S. (05/19/2007)
- Ex-fugitive gets 20 years in molestation (12/11/2007)
- Federal Prison System: Inmate Lookup (10/23/2013)