"We have known for some time that sexual abuse can lead to eating disorders" -- British Eating Disorders Association.
- Eating disorders among Jewish female adolescents in Israel: a 5-year study (06/1995)
- Young girls who are sexually abused are more likely to develop eating disorders as adolescents (2000)
- Both adolescent girls and boys, a history of sexual or physical abuse appears to increase the risk of disordered eating behaviors (2000)
- Sexual Abuse and Eating Disorders: A Test of a Conceptual Model (01/2005)
- Abuse 'triggers eating disorders' (11/09/2005)
Study shows complex link between abuse and eating disorders (12/19/2005)
Resources on Eating Disorders
- Being Jewish in a Barbie world (11/06/1998)
- Talk links Jews, eating disorders (03/26/1999)
- A Weighty Matter (05/18/2001)
- Talking to Jewish women about their struggles with eating disorders (11/06/2002)
- Too Much Of A Good Thing? (08/16/2002)
- It's hard to be a body (01/26/2006)
- Charedi guide to addiction (09/14/2007)
- Judaism and Eating Disorders (12/26/2008)
- There's no more room under the rug (01/20/2011)
- Abuse and the Brain (03/23/2011)
Sexual Abuse and Eating Disorders - Edited by Mark F. Schwartz and Leigh
- Sexual Abuse and Eating Disorders - Edited by Mark F. Schwartz and Leigh Cohn
- The Alliance for Eating Disorders Awareness - Site contains information on anorexia, bulimia, and other eating disorders, lists of treatment centers and therapists nationwide, support hotline numbers by state.
- National Association of Anorexia Nervosa and Associated Disorders (ANAD) - Founded in 1976, ANAD is the oldest national non-profit organization helping eating disorder victims and their families. Free hotline counseling, international network of support groups for sufferers and families, and referrals to health care professionals who treat eating disorders across the U.S. and in fifteen other countries.
- The Anna Westin Foundation - The Anna Westin Foundation, funded by one of the families involved in the Minnesota HMO lawsuit by donating their $1 Million settlement, is dedicated to the prevention and treatment of eating disorders, raising public awareness, and advocacy for eating disorder treatment being covered by insurance companies/HMOs.
- ANRED (Anorexia Nervosa and Related Eating Disorders, Inc.)
- Eating Disorder Referral & Information Center - Referrals and info, includes sections on anorexia, bulimia, compulsive overeating, other disorders, men, women, teens, athletes, causes and treatments, nutrition and body image.
- Colchester Eating Disorder Support Centre - UK - Free services for those dealing with eating disorders, sections for professionals treating eating disorders, loved ones, teens, and men. Free outpatient treatment, referrals, medical and support groups.
- Eating Disorders Association - UK
- National Eating Disorders Information Centre - Canada
- Overeaters Anonymous - Overeaters Anonymous offers a program of recovery from compulsive overeating using the Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions of OA. Worldwide meetings and other tools provide a fellowship of experience, strength and hope where members respect one another's anonymity. OA charges no dues or fees; it is self-supporting through member contributions.
- Overcoming Overeating