- Jefferson County Alabama - Sheriff's Office (02/21/2006)
- United States of America vs. Shmuel Zev Juravel (AKA: Samuel Juravel) (03/01/2006)
- Savannah man arrested on federal sex charges (03/06/2006)
- FBI wanting to talk to Survivors of Shmuel Juravel (in Baltimore, MD and Savannah, GA)
- Department of Justice Seal Department of Justice (03/29/2006)
- U.S. District Court - Criminal Docket for Case (03/29/2006)
- Excerpt From Court Document - Magistrate Judge's Report and Recommendations (06/07/2006)
- UPDATE: Case of Samuel Juravel (06/14/2006)
- Update on the Court Cases (07/14/2006)
- Press Release - United States Department of Justice (08/11/2006)
- Georgia man pleads guilty in FBI child sex sweep in Alabama (08/11/2006)
- Georgia man pleads guilty in FBI child sex sweep in Alabama (08/12/2006)
- Georgia man handed lengthy sentence in child sex case (08/14/2006)
- Today Steve is 25 (02/23/2007)
- Testimony Provided at Maryland Senate Hearing on SB575 (03/01/2007)
- Can we trust the rabbonim of Baltimore to really monitor Rabbi Stanley Levitt? (03/02/2012)
Jefferson County Alabama - Sheriff's Office
Savannah man arrested on federal sex charges
|Shmuel Juravel - Convicted Sex Offender|
|Shmuel Juravel - Convicted Sex Offender|
- ames Sturdivant - Birmingham, AL
- Robin Beardsley - Birmingham, AL
- Robert Isaacson - is the third attorney has a private practice (Walter's Law Office) in Savannah, GA.
- John H England, III - Assistant US Attorney, Northern District of. Alabama, Southern Division
- Alice H Martin - Assistant US Attorney, Northern District of. Alabama, Southern Division
Tomorrow morning 66 year-old Levitt could face up to 40 years in prison on the four counts of indecent assault and battery on a child. According to reports, prosecutors on this case say they are seeking prison time.
Over the last several years Rabbi Stanley Levitt resided in both Philadelphia and Baltimore.
Since 2009, The Awareness Center (International Jewish Coalition Against Sexual Abuse/Assault), started warning the Vaad Harabonim Baltimore (Jewish Religious Court) of the serious nature of allegations made against Rabbi Levitt. The organization requested that the Vaad help to warn community members of the dangers . . . and also publish suggested protocols in hopes of protecting unsuspecting children from becoming the next victim of this (now convicted) sexual predator. Unfortunately, nothing was done.
According to a reliable source at the last minute, due to political pressures, Rabbi Hauer decided not to send the letter to community members, and later appeared to be holding the letter hostage as a means of having the article removed from the internet. At the time there were numerous phone calls and emails in which threats were made against the author of the article. Some of these threats were made by a highly respected social worker who runs the Shofar Coalition, which is an organization connected with the Jewish Federation of Baltimore.
The truth is that like in many other ultra-orthodox Jewish communities, religious leaders in Baltimore have an extended history of protecting alleged and convicted sex offenders and then shaming, blaming and harassing survivors and their family members who make police reports without their permission or speak out.
It is well known in Baltimore’s religious circles, that Shearith Israel Congregation (also known as the Glenn Ave. Shul), is the “Davening Headquarters” for both alleged and convicted sex offenders.
Besides Rabbi Levitt calling this synagogue home, so does Cantor Stuart Friedman, Rabbi Yaakov Menken, Rabbi Eliezer Eisgrau and from time to time Rabbi Moshe Eisemann.
The "Glenn Avenue Shul" is under the leadership of Rabbi Yaakov Hopfer, who is also the long time president of the Vaad Harbonim of Baltimore.
Rabbi Yaakov Hopfer is also known as the “go to rabbi” when it comes to protecting sexual predators. A perfect example of this was seen in the case of Samuel (Shmuel) Juravel, a young man who was caught in an internet sting back in 2005.
When Shmuel was younger it was known by the Vaad that he was molesting younger boys within the Baltimore community. Instead of making police or hotline reports, the Vaad “monitored his behavior” and also assisted in helping him find a bride when he was old enough to marry.
According to a reliable source, after Shmuel Juravel left Baltimore and relocated to Atlanta -- Rabbi Hopfer contacted the Atlanta area Vaad, and informed them of the allegations of child molestation. No hotline or police reports were ever made. Instead the Atlanta rabbis felt they could monitor Juravel on their own. Their monitoring included allowing this sexual predator to teach bar mitzvah lessons to eleven-year-old boys from within their community.
Knowing how the Vaad of Baltimore operated, it was not a big surprise that Rabbi Stanley Levitt made Baltimore his second home.
Yesterday Rabbi Stanley Levitt received 10 years probation and is required to register as a sex offender, after pleading guilty on charges of sexually assaulting 3 boys in Boston. It's been reported that he’ll also have to wear a ankle monitoring device. If he violates any of the terms of his probation he will end up in jail. According to a reliable source, Levitt has chosen Baltimore, MD as his place of residence.
After the sentencing hearing one of the individuals who was victimized by Levitt stated: “this will mean that another life will be ruined for him to end up in prison, and I went through all of this so that wouldn’t be the case. . . All we can do is hope he violates his probation without harming another child.”
The issue still remains of how prepared the ultra-orthodox community of Baltimore will be to keep the children in their community safe? Considering the track history of being non-compliant with Jewish law, which requires all adults to be mandated reporters, let alone stonewalling law enforcement officials during several past investigations of possible child molestation, one has to realize that the Baltimore orthodox community is becoming a sort of mecca for Jewish sexual predators residing in the United States.
Shmuel Zev Juravel is a quintessential example of how ineffective rabbinical "monitoring" is of sex offenders, especially in Baltimore’s ultra-orthodox community. Juravel was known by Rabbi Yaakov Hopfer to have molested many boys within the eruv (Jewish community), but was never reported to the secular authorities, as he comes from an internationally highly respected, prestigious rabbinical family, who had strong ties to the Baltimore community. When Shmuel Juravel moved to Savannah, GA, Rabbi Hopfer notified the Orthodox rabbi there that Mr. Juravel should be "monitored" around children.
At the time Shmuel Juravel was married with four sons of his own. It didn’t stop him from allegedly molesting several other boys in the Savannah community as well. He was finally stopped by the FBI in an internet sting operation for soliciting boys on Craigs List and then crossing state lines to meet the alleged victim. The now, 35 year-old inmate is now incarcerated, serving a 22 year sentence in the federal prison system in Otisville, NY. He’s scheduled to be released on March 28, 2024.
The Awareness Center is the international Jewish Coalition Against Sexual Abuse/Assault. Since 2001 they have attempted to warn the Baltimore community about numerous alleged and convicted sexual predators from within their own community. Unfortunately, their cries have been ignored. Besides Shmuel Juravel, The Awareness Center has attempted to warned not only community members, but also the Vaad Harabonim (orthodox board of rabbis), in which Rabbi Hopfer is president.
Rabbi Moshe Eisemann is a 76-year-old, highly respected author and religious leader. For many years he was the Mashgiach Ruchni (head spiritual advisor) at Ner Israel High School and College. According to a reliable source, throughout the years at Ner Israel, there were mumblings of him molesting boys (both minors and those slightly past their 18th birthdays). Instead of making hotline or police reports, the administration at Ner Israel decided to handle the allegations quietly and internally.
Instead of doing the right thing, Ner Israel did what many prestigious organizations, institutions and schools do around the globe -- they shifted the alleged offender to another position -- yet allowed Eisemann to live on the high school/college campus and also allowed him to privately tutor students in his home -- without any type of supervision.
Back in 2006, The Awareness Center did their best to publicize the allegations made against Rabbi Moshe Eisemann of the molestation of teenage boys including the few who were molested who were over the age of 18. At the time hotline reports were made, yet due to the fact that none of the alleged victims resided in his home, and the investigators were stonewalled, nothing could be done.
In 2007, after the exposé, "Ner Israel Rabbi Alleged Abuser: When Whispers Get Louder" was published by the Baltimore Jewish times, The Awareness Center put out a call for action, which five years later has still been ignored.
The organization demanded the following protocols be set up to keep students safe:
- Rabbi Moshe Eisemann immediately be move off the campus of Ner Israel.
- Rabbi Eisemann cease teaching and or tutoring students in his home or else where.
- Rabbi Moshe Eisemann have absolutely no contact with children or male adults under the age of 40. (According to Jewish custom, forty is the age in which a man is considered mature enough to study Kabbalah and less likely be able to be sexually manipulated by an sexual predator).
- Rabbi Moshe Eisemann be immediately evaluated by a licensed mental health professional who specializes in sex offenders. The professional must be approved by The Awareness Center, Inc. to insure the professional is not biased nor associated with Ner Israel any other individual or organization.
- Artscroll/Mesorah publications cease and desist from publishing, selling or distributing any books created by Moshe Eisemann.
- All books written by Moshe Eisemann be banned by every yeshiva (seminaries) in the US and abroad.
- Rabbi Moshe Eisemann not be allowed to leave the United States.
- Ner Israel Rabbinical College finance a team of child abuse experts who will evaluate all past and present students of Rabbi Moshe Eisemann to determine if there are any more survivors. The team of experts will be approved by The Awareness Center to insure things are handled properly and appropriately.
The Awareness Center also asks that the following individuals be contacted:
President of the Vaad of Baltimore:Artscroll/Mesorah Publications
Rabbi Yaakov Hopfer - Shearith Yisrael (Glen Ave. Shul):
Phone: 410-466-3060 Fax: 410-367-9183
Ner Israel Rabbinical College (and High School):
Rabbi Aharon Feldman - Rosh Yeshiva (Head of the School)
Rabbi Beryl Weisbord - Dean of Students
Rabbi Sheftel Neuberger - President
Phone: 718-921-9000 Fax: 718-680-1875
Rabbi Nosson Scherman, the General Editor
Meir Zlotowitz - Founder of Artscroll Publications
"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has." --Margaret Mead